Monday, November 19, 2007

Listening to Chamorro


There are a lot of Chamoru .wma files over at Capt. Santo's site chamoruboy.com. He has collected quite a bit of poetry, music, and historical information over there.

I speak a few languages, and it is a hard to draw comparisons to other languages; a little Arabic, a little Navaho, a little Hindi, a good deal of Spanish. Very little of the Asiatic tonalities that I would have expected.

He also has a small dictionary that will help me understand some of the sites my English keeps me from finding.

Capt. Santos served in Iraq, Afghanistan, and it looks like he has wandered the map of the world quite a bit. I'll drop him a line...

Capt. Santos,

First of all, thank you for your service. I do not know if you are currently deployed or not, but I hope wherever you are you are well and safe.

Next, I would like to thank you for your site. I am a political blogger from Denver, Colorado and I have been interested recently in learning more about Chamorro language and culture, and it has been an excellent resource to me.

Denver is going to be the site of the 2008 Democratic National Convention, and I have had the opportunity to see first hand as their staff has made a great effort this year to bring more voices, particularly those on the net, into the media coverage of the event. It has been a strange hobby of mine to try to find suitable internet writers who can cover the activities of the Guam delegation and to direct them to the convention's Internet Communications Director, Jason Rosenberg.

Obviously, your website is not focused on journalism and you already have an important and time consuming job, but I thought that with your knowledge of the internet and your understanding of the issues facing Guam, you might be able to recommend to me some writers who I should be reading.

If you know any good Guam bloggers, send them my way or please drop me a line.
I have a little website where I am tracking my quest to find the right writer; guamlovesjasonrosenberg.blogspot.com
Please, check it out and comment if you can help me at all.

Thanks!

Aaron Silverstein

No comments: